Westwood Community School District
Board of Education
This will serve to inform you that there is an expected vacancy on the Westwood Community School District Board of Education due to the election of Angela Hopkins to a six-year term, effective January 1, 2019. The procedure that will be used in filling said expected vacancy is as follows:
Procedure per Board Policy 1170: Board Position Vacancies
When a vacancy occurs, the following procedures shall be used in filling the vacancy.
1. The President of the Board shall, through public announcement, through the news media and school publications, make known that the vacancy has occurred and those persons interested in being considered for appointment to fill the vacancy should notify the Secretary of the Board. Such notification should be accompanied by a brief biographical sketch, a statement setting forth the reasons why the person desires consideration, and his/her interest in and ideas about public education.
The requirements for School Board membership are:
• Citizen of the United States
• 18 years of age
• Resident of the State of Michigan for 30 days
• Resident of the Westwood Community School District for at least 30 days prior to appointment
• Qualified Elector of the District
2. The Board shall review and screen applications to determine which candidates should be further considered.
3. Those candidates screened for further consideration shall be interviewed in public session by the Board.
4. The Board shall, by roll call vote, determine which candidate shall be appointed to fill the vacancy.
Interested persons should apply no later than Thursday, December 20, 2018, at 4:00 p.m. Upon receipt of letters from interested individuals, the Board shall review and screen applications to determine which candidates shall be further considered.
Those candidates screened for further consideration will be notified and shall be interviewed in public session by the Board at a Special Meeting tentatively scheduled for Thursday, January 10, 2019. An appointment will be made by the Board following candidate interviews on Thursday, January 10, 2019. TERM WILL EXPIRE DECEMBER 31, 2020 PER STATE LAW.
Signed: Sarah Ward, Secretary Board of Education Posted: December 5, 2018